WASHINGTON (AP) – Fire trucks and concrete mixers, semis, heavy-duty pickups and all trucks in between will, for the first time, have to trim fuel consumption and emissions of heat-trapping gases under new efficiency standards announced Tuesday by President Barack Obama. The White House said the standards will save businesses billions of dollars in fuel costs, help reduce oil consumption and cut air pollution. The standards apply to vehicle model years 2014 to 2018. The new targets affect three categories of vehicles. Big rigs or semis will have to slash fuel consumption and production of heat-trapping gases by up to 23 percent. Gasoline-powered heavy-duty pickups and vans will have to cut consumption by 10 percent, or by 15 percent if the vehicles run on diesel fuel. The standards also prescribe a 9 percent reduction in fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions for work trucks, which include everything from fire trucks and concrete mixers to garbage trucks and buses. In a statement, Obama said the new standards had the support of companies that build, buy and drive medium and heavy-duty trucks. The president had planned to unveil the standards at a trucking business in Virginia, a state crucial to his re-election hopes, but the White House canceled the trip Tuesday morning without explanation. Instead, the president he met privately at the White House with industry officials to discuss the initiative. The White House projected savings of 530 million barrels of oil and $50 billion in fuel costs over the expected lives of the vehicles covered by the new standards, along with improved air quality and public health. The administration released no miles-per-gallon equivalent for the new standards, saying that doing so would be confusing given the different categories of vehicles, the different types of vehicles in each category and the varying payloads that each one carries. Officials did stress that the costs of making the trucks more fuel-efficient – ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars per vehicle – will be recouped through reduced fuel costs over the lifetime of the vehicles. It’s the second round of fuel efficiency standards in the past month. Last month, Obama announced a deal with automakers to double overall fuel economy to 54.5 mpg by 2025, starting in model year 2017. Cars and light trucks now on the road average 27 mpg. That followed a 2009 deal committing cars and trucks to averaging 35.5 mpg by model year 2016. (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
The above story is a lie, as a former Trucker I will tell you that the methods needed to reclaim waste gasses will reduce horse power and increase the cost of transporting goods…once the cost goes up they never come down..JolietJake.
10 thing obama won’t say:
1. It’s not Bush’s fault. I’ve been your President for almost two years. If you want to be angry at someone, I’m your man.
2. I was wrong. I took your money, billions of dollars of it. And you don’t have the jobs to show for it. Nothing was shovel-ready, and unemployment is well over 8%. My approach didn’t work, and I’m changing course to make things right.
3. They’re not isolated extremists or man-caused disasters. They’re violent, lethal terrorists who want to kill Americans and destroy everything we stand for. When it comes to defeating terrorism, all options are on the table.
4. America is exceptional in a way that no other country is. We have proudly been the leader in protecting liberty around the world, and I’m honored to be Commander-in-Chief of this “one nation under God.”
5. It’s time to repeal and replace. It’s clear that Americans want health care reform. It’s also clear that you don’t want the law we’ve built. I respect the will of the people, and I’m ready to go back to the drawing board.
6. Throwing the word ‘racist’ around is irresponsible. It’s a serious word with serious implications that should be reserved for legitimate cases. Media, that doesn’t include labeling everyone who disagrees with me a racist.
7. People have been taxed enough already. That includes joint filers earning $250,000 or more a year. It also includes individuals earning $200,000 or more a year, some of whom likely worked many eighteen-hour days making practically nothing to get where they are today. It’s time to put your money back in your hands. That’s why I’m extending the Bush tax cuts for everyone.
8. There’s nothing unclear about the word ‘illegal.’ To condone illegal immigration is to condone breaking the law. I stand with Governor Brewer.
9. Peace through strength is the only answer. The world is a safer place when America is strong. It is my number-one priority to keep her that way.
10. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. It’s time for the federal government to take a step back, perform the jobs it is constitutionally meant to do, and get the heck out of your way. Your Constitution is like toilet paper, tear it apart piece by piece soon you don’t have enough to wipe your ass effectively.
When you go to the polls today think of all the taxes that have been levied on your pockets in the last 4 years, stop and think if you re-elect the same people back into office will the situation change under their management of the city and county of Joliet and Will County.
I cast my vote today and I voted to oust the current regime and voted for change, I want jobs for the area, “not” more taxes by a pick-pocket elected board(s) I was and am tired of paying for the screws-up, only to be asked to fix the problem with more of my tax dollars when they have wasted so much of our tax dollars in the past.
So vote today for tomorrow your pocket my be picked clean.
JOLIET, Ill. — An Illinois judge has ruled that prosecutors can introduce statements made by former police officer’s Drew Peterson’s now-deceased ex-wife at his trial.
Will County Judge Stephen White ruled against Peterson’s attorneys Friday in their attempt to get the state’s so-called “hearsay” law declared unconstitutional. He also denied a request by the former Bolingbrook officer’s attorneys to have the trial moved.
Peterson has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the 2004 death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. He is also a suspect in the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson. He has denied wrongdoing.
State’s Attorney James Glasgow has said the hearsay law would allow Savio to “testify from the grave.”
What others are saying on the net:
I was just wondering Drew Peterson, how it feels to be defeated at every turn? It must feel pretty bad, right? On Friday Judge Stephen White heard the motions put forth by one of Peterson’s attorneys Andrew Abood, and denied them both!
The former Sgt. in the Bolingbrook Police Force has been charged with first-degree murder and is awaiting the start of a trial in the Joliet prison system. Judge Stephen White did uphold the fact that it is constitutional for Stacy Peterson’s words to family, friends, and to a pastor to be admitted into the trial. Stacy Peterson is Drew Peterson’s fourth wife and is currently missing. The judge further went on to deny the motion that was also brought to say the Drew Peterson could not get a fair and impartial trial in the city of Joliet and the county of Will. The judge felt that there was no reason why he could not get a fair trial in the county/and city. In fact some time ago the judge took approx. 240 potential jurors and put forth official court orders for these people to not view or listen to any reports that involved Drew Peterson or the Drew Peterson case.
Mr. Joel Brodsky, Peterson’s other attorney feels a bit disappointed as he says a lawyer cannot defend against the hearsay rule. He further explained that a lwayer cannot refute, or rebut the words nor can he cross-examine the words for motive or bias. Read More…
From our Friends The Tea Party Express
Breaking news from New Lenox/Joliet… the sheriff’s office is reporting to us that the crowd estimate for the rally here is 10,000+ and they are shutting down a portion of Interstate 80 for traffic control do to the massive influx of people.
I was there and the crowd was awesome, we need to stand up and be counted.
Joliet-area officials struggle to warn area residents about the health scare without stirring widespread panic due to political correctness.
Joliet Illinois schools in Will County school districts spent Monday not notifying parents about the potential risks in the area that has Mexican illegals with strong links to the country where the virus originated, Jumping the border is the cause for Illinois infections, the virus has infected at least 48 people in five U.S. states, none of them fatally as of yet.
A major concern has resonated but lack of officials concern has cause me to worry, why not advised parents to monitor their children’s health, With 45 percent of the Joliet Illinois school’s having 25,000 students either Mexican illegals or Mexican born Americans, teachers should be asking parents if their families have traveled to Mexico recently.
local officials have down played the severity trying not to cause fear, Despite the fact that several reports have indicated that U.S. swine flu patients had recently traveled to Mexico,
local officials and school leaders have chosen to ignore that, we’re doing nothing to stop them from coming across the border.